Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!



My husband is pretty wonderful. He decided to take all our children swimming. (Well only eight of them) So I can have a day for myself. It was definitely a nice gesture although when I'm alone and if I'm not out hiking somewhere, it's lonesome. I ended up doing errands, going to Costco and I accidentally fell off my determined wagon not to buy anything for our new children. I couldn't help but buy little Carter's spring clothing. (oops) Once I was back on track, I ended up in a favorite area of mine. A little place called, Coombs. I would have liked to spend more time there but the "Mother" in me was saying, "Go home!" At home I decided to make a nice dinner for when they returned. I had individual little surprises for them! Mother's day is a day for appreciation and most children can struggle with what appreciation means. One of our sons this morning was basically on another rant about how hard done by he really is, how there isn't anything to do at our house and IF we would just let him do what he wants, it would be a much better place. Perhaps but that will never happen. See, I understand where some children have a hard time appreciating because it's always greener somewhere else and if "Joe" can do it, why can't he? Funny, I wasn't a favorite nor appreciated Mother by some today but it's "Ok" I turned it around and appreciated my children. Especially Mr. un-appreciation! As much as I have a loving heart, it's thickened during my years of raising our children. I'm not jumping on their ship, I'm going to prove to our children that it doesn't matter what they do, how they think, (such as today) I will appreciate and respect them regardless knowing that one day it will be returned. Some of our children did make me homemade cards, dream catchers and my oldest daughter bought me flowers and lipstick. I've been very emotional this week and when I read my card from her I cried. She asked me, "Why are you crying?" Usually I say, "There's something in my eye" but this weekend, I had two infected pink eyes which didn't help matters! ( lol ) I did just thank her. This significant day isn't about receiving anything, it's just being acknowledged that I'm doing "Ok" being their Mom and that's good enough for me. Some really cute and nice messages were wrote that I'd like to share with all the Mothers on this day because it was your day too!


"Dear Mom, here is a present for you for Mother's Day. I love you very much. I love when you kiss me good night. Thank you for keeping me healthy. Thank you for my lunches. I hope you have a great day!"


"To Mom. I love you. I like making cookies with you and then eating them. You are awesome. Thank you for the times you take me to McDonald's and other places. I love giving you hugs."


"Dear Mom, helpful, generous, kind as can be, you're always taking great care of me. Thoughtful caring smiling each day, you're a delightful Mom I say. Gentle loving holding me tight, when you're around everything seems just right! I love you Mom."


AND what made me cry, "One day is much too short to celebrate how much you are loved and appreciated. You are the most beautiful , selfless, strong and whole hearted person I know, and I am privileged to be able to call you Mom. I love you very much!"


What some of our children may not realize that I am appreciative that they are in my life, everyday and have accepted me as their Mother either through birth or adoption. They make me who I am today................and that in itself is my Mother's Day!



2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! Your last paragraph is really what it's all about! It's not about the gifts of material things, it's about the gift of appreciation. And it's about us appreciating having them in our lives. Glad you had a good Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful sentiments from your children! They are well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete

"She's a rebuild"

       It's been three years since I wrote. Within those three years I've lost myself. I stopped writing. I stopped crafting. I stop...