Thursday, March 29, 2012

Back on mission


It's been a busy week with Therapeutic horse riding, Occupational and Practical Therapies, Doctor appointments, planning Easter and four birthdays in April! I love special occasions. I attend to go overboard although for Easter we make our own baskets. Everything we want in them for a low cost of $10.00 each! Our April calendar is just squares with notes all over it! I actually have a few dates on there for "Mom" time including a hair appointment with a lady that specializes with curly hair! How exciting! I have this thick, wild frizzy curly hair that is looking neglected these days. I thought it's time to do something about this! In fact I attended a workshop that Brenda McCreight held about Hazardous parenting. Parents that need healing, that need to develop peace through eliminating stressors. Unfortunately I had to leave during the most important part of the workshop although I believe I understood the concept. I do agree and have always believed that us parents shouldn't loose ourselves within our children. I've written a post about pampering ourselves months maybe a year ago and I'm guilty needing reminders that I need to look after myself more. I can become obsessive over my children. I admit it. I am an over-caregiver. Over care-giving can take a toll on us parents. That's why reminders from others are important. Today while I was at another appointment I decided to pick up eye drops. I asked the Pharmacist what would work best for the most extreme conditions. "I have had burning eyes for over twenty years!", I said. Like a child that had sand thrown into their eyes without any recovery. I've learned to live with this because the eye drops I tried twenty years ago never worked. Today I bought a new brand in hopes I will receive some relief because I also know cucumbers don't work either! I quickly found out I temporarily was relieved but this is something I will have to use throughout the day. This is a prime example of neglecting myself just because I can live with it. I don't want to anymore. ((Speaking of eyes, at dinner tonight two funny scenarios went on that made me laugh. One of our sons accidentally squirted a lemon into his eye, this made him cry. Then all of a sudden one of our other sons decided to take a lemon and purposely squeeze his lemon into his eye that made him scream. Which made our other son laugh. Before I could even ask, "What on earth are you doing?" I bursted out laughing. During this our littlest daughter was crying because she just doesn't have any patience.....this resulted in nine of our children "fake" crying at the dinner table which in turn made our littlest daughter laugh hysterically. I was sitting there thinking, "This is one crazy dinner table tonight")) Getting back on topic, us parents are human beings too and we need TLC! We don't have to live with sand and lemon juice burning our eyes. My "back on mission"..... because I was once again reminded to take care of myself physically and mentally IS to take once a month for "Mom". I can divide my obsession I have with my children and give myself at least 25%! I won't be lying around with cucumbers blocking my vision because I love seeing the outdoors. I love exploring, hiking and enjoying what our world offers us. I need to get back to my stairs, go on a occasional hike and get rid of my grey hair! My back on mission plan. What's yours? What I do know if anything, we do have control with ourselves.

"We have to learn to be our own best friends because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemies" - Roderick Thorp.

Alice Roosevelt quotes "I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches"

Fill what's empty with positives, empty what's full..... try and eliminate the negatives, scratch where it itches - pamper yourself with eye drops!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"She's a rebuild"

       It's been three years since I wrote. Within those three years I've lost myself. I stopped writing. I stopped crafting. I stop...