Monday, August 13, 2012

Live in the moment

While reflecting back on this past week I've once again appreciated everything and everyone around me. I've had sometime to think in between first aid training while hiking in our beautiful wilderness. Another first aider I know passed recently leaving his children and wife behind. A father, a husband and a genuine gentlemen to absolutely everyone. I had the pleasure for many years working with him in the first aid room. I often thought about all our lives - every ones. While surviving (that's what we're doing) we are continually taking life for granted. I thought about my husband, approximately the same age as my first aider friend that passed. Death is a devastating loss. We are very fortunate to have our health. I continued to contemplate and deeply think......as I've been known to over think, worry and try to change the future. I had this reminder thought enter my brain. I always remind people that life is too short, it's unpredictable and that we should live it to our fullest. This means to our family, "Love, honor and respect each other" and "Educate, travel, exercise and experience" But here's the enlightenment that came to me within my brain - we can do all this; although stress, worry and anxiety could make us seriously ill creating a unhealthiness that will inhibit our abilities to live to that fullest. Of course I knew this before but my little reminder in my brain was saying, "Live in the moment Carrie" We can choose to stress, worry and develop anxiety over the past - but why? We can't change what's been done in the past, we must move on. We can't predict the future, we shouldn't expect anything in the future either - we can only try to have the fullest life for ourselves and our families in hopes that healthy living and decisions will be made. So I wanted to share my thought (as much as everyone already knows it) but it's just a reminder that we all need once in awhile to live in the moment. One thing I know if we're living in the moment, if it's positive - it has developed a great memory. If it's negative, well......it was only a moment and it's long gone. The trick is we get to choose on if and how much we'll stress - and guess what? Moments in life are just that; take one moment at a time, learn and move on says my hamster. Every moment is an experience - that's it. Like spilled milk, or a broken window - what's done is done.

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment" - Buddha

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing" - Theodore Roosevelt

"Try to live a stress free life, it won't matter in the end" - Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"She's a rebuild"

       It's been three years since I wrote. Within those three years I've lost myself. I stopped writing. I stopped crafting. I stop...