Friday, June 21, 2013

"Sleep is overrated" my three words for this week!

For three days I attended a camping year end field trip with twenty five students from our elementary school on Hornby Island. It rained the whole time. It was cold at night. I didn't get any sleep. Although it was a good trip. While supervising and helping, I played a few games with the students. Predator verses prey, capture the flag and man tracker. My favorite was predator verses prey. I was one of the predators. I was so engaged into the game, I fell three times capturing my victims. Not only did all twenty five children have fun with the endless games and activities, I did too. We kayaked, rock climbed, there was challenges such as heights (walking zip lines), there was treasure hunts and endless education with mapping and animals. The three days was all about team building and confidence. Most importantly I spent three days of quality time with one of my sons. Rescuing him from the jails of capturing the flag, to potentially eating him during predator verses prey then later my son chose to sit with me during dinner instead of his friends. It was really nice. He's our eleven year old and these are the moments us parents need to cherish because they don't last forever. Right now while writing and reflecting the last three days, I can't think or see straight to write but I really am a happy Momma being able to spend this time with my son. He was a happy boy too. As much as it rained, it was cold and I didn't sleep - I wouldn't change this time with my son. Sleep is overrated. All I can say is, spend as much time as you can, while your child allows - it's definitely worth it, even in the pouring rain.

Me - "Momma Bear" climbing the rock wall!
My son and I on our 5km hike in the rain!
Kayaking!

"Parents rarely let go of their children, so children let go of them. They move on. They move away. The moments that used to define them are covered by moments of their own accomplishments"
"It is not until much later, that children understand; their stories and all their accomplishments, sit atop the stories of their mothers and fathers, stones upon stones, beneath the water of their lives"
Paulo Coelho

No comments:

Post a Comment

"She's a rebuild"

       It's been three years since I wrote. Within those three years I've lost myself. I stopped writing. I stopped crafting. I stop...